Puppy Potty Training
It is not logical to expect a very young puppy to perfectly control its sphincters and it is inevitable that an accident may happen every now and them. Despite that, using the method denominated "mistake less learning" you will get your dog to understand to urinate and defecate in the correct place, indicated from the first moment. This system will simply make impossible for the puppy to relieve itself in an inappropriate place.
THE APPROPRIATE PLACE to potty
It is important to learn in which moment the puppy is more likely to feel the desire of urinating or defecating. This usually happens for example after playing, as soon as it wakes up, right after a very big joy (for example when the kids are coming back from school) or after eating.
This procedure will help you teaching your puppy, in an efficient way, the adequate place:
- Take the dog outside, always to the same place and wait imperturbably until the dog defecates or urinates, even when it is raining. Sweetly repeat some words like "do it here" or "it is ok here", this will help the dog know that you are there. When the dog begins to smell everywhere or to walk in circles, congratulate and reward it.
- As soon as the dog finishes, congratulate it with great enthusiasm and offer the dog a special treat for puppies. After that, play with the dog for a while and go back home.
- While the dog is learning, it is not a bad idea to take it out every hour and be alert of its gestures (if it smells everywhere or walks in circles it is a sign of desire)
- If you wait outside with the puppy and nothing happens, go back home and keep an eye on the dog at every moment until you go out again. If you have something to do, leave the dog in a much closed place covered with papers.
- If you discover the dog urinating or defecating or about to do it inside the house say "not here" in a soft voice and take it to the appropriate place. It is ok if the dog gets misled, you have to take it out immediately, even in the middle of it. If the dog gets to leave even a drop in the right place, congratulate it and reward it too.
- It is easy for the dog to hold the desire if it is locked in its sleeping zone and it is possible that the dog will call you so you can take it out. Puppies tend in a natural way not to wet the bed. dog rain coats
DON'T LOOSE YOUR NERVE
It doesn't make sense to get mad with your dog because it couldn't hold some. It can associate your anger with the pee or the poop themselves, instead than with choosing the wrong place and then the puppy will limit itself to be scared of you finding its depositions. dog harnesses . It is hard for the children to completely control their sphincters and it won't come into anybody's mind to punish the child for this. The punishment methods used in the past, as rubbing the dog's snout with its own pee for example, are not only not recommendable but also disgusting, so they have to be avoided.
Many dog owners teach their puppies to do their things on a paper first and then move them to a definite place, but this system requires a double effort, one to do it on the paper and other to do it outside. The mistake less learning method is a lot easier.
URINATING FOR SUBMISSION
It is not that the dogs that pee when they see a person or other dog can't control their sphincters; they are using the urination to express difference. They may also turn around and lay on their back or separate one rear paw showing their belly or roll on the floor, when they see someone or something that may seem to them as higher in the pack hierarchy.
If your dog urinates when you arrive, ignore it until you are outdoors and greet it when it urinates outside. Another possibility is to lower you body and greet the dog on your side, avoiding to face it directly. In this way you will seem less horrible to the dog and it won't feel obligated to urinate to calm you down.