ADULT DOG TRAINING
Our dog's training is permanent and continuous, not something that happens only once a week during classes. The training classes are aimed to teach the owners how to train their dogs, besides contributing with their socialization and constituting a support group that provides help and advice to the owners that need it. Dogs, like humans, can react to stress in a negative way, so this is the reason why you should carefully pick the appropriate class. Classes shouldn't be repetitive, boring and compulsive, because the modern methods, based on the motivation through the use of toys or treats, produce pleasant, funny and informal classes. If the course is good, you will be able to ask for advice on any practical problem, either if it is related to the training itself or to the way you are supposed to take care of your dog
.TRAINING AT HOME in the house
Adult dogs need to be trained basically at home and during the walks out. "Sit", "lay down" and "come" are order the dog can learn to perform with the same techniques used with the puppies, practicing regularly. No matter how old your dog is, it is very important for it to learn how to walk attached to a lead. Many dogs seem to love to stretch the lead to its maximum point, despite the danger of suffocating with the collar. They go to the park almost dragging their owner and they get the best prize of the day for doing this: the chance to freely run around the park. Dog Training Tips
It is not possible to teach a dog not to stretch the lead on the way to the park; the animal is too excited to listen to any order. It will be better to begin inviting the dog to follow you free of the lead while you are walking around the house, using a treat as decoy to keep the dog on a short distance from you, giving the approval sign and then the promised treat when the dog walks by your side. Make sure that these sessions are brief and fun and do not hesitate to congratulate it every time your dog walks with you.dog harnesses
TRAINING YOUR DOG WITH THE LEAD
When the dog already manages the technique in the house, garden, yard or terrace, get it on the lead. If it is too difficult for the dog to walk with the lead, a harness can make the training easier for you, but make sure they are properly fastened and won't hurt the dog. Begin by walking inside the house.
- Get slowly away from the dog without stretching the lead. If the dog follows you, give it the approval sign and the prize.
- If the lead gets stretched, stop. Do not walk again until the dog looses it (no matter how long it will take).
- When the dog has already learnt to do it inside the house, go out to the garden, yard or terrace. If everything goes well there, try on a wider space as a park, for example. Every time the dog stretches the lead stop. Soon, the dog will learn that walking slowly it will get to the park sooner than going in a hurry.
This order means "don't touch until we tell you to do it" and is very useful when the children eat without sitting on the table or when the dogs have a very strong hunting instinct.
- Hold some food firmly in your hand and show it to the dog without saying a word. If the dog tries to get it say "Leave it!" in a soft voice.
- Close your hand hiding the food in your fist.
- If the dog gets its snout away from your hand, even for little time, give it the approval sign say for example "ok" or "thanks" and give the treat to the dog. It won't take long to understand what you are expecting.
- Repeat this exercise many times, until the dog gets its snout away just by hearing you say "leave it!"
- Increase the amount of time in which you expect your dog to keep its snout away from your hand. This exercise can lead to many different games, all of them with lots of rewards.
House TRAINING COURSES FOR ADULT DOGS
- Confirm the quality of the course by assisting without the dog first.
- The facilities should be wide, so each dog will be separated from the others.
- There shouldn't be more than 8 dogs per instructor and it is more recommendable not to have more than 12 dogs in each class.
- The outdoor classes are very interesting, because it is precisely in that environment when it is mandatory for a dog to obey.
- The method used should be pleasant for the dogs and their masters to enjoy the classes.
- The instructors should know very well all the problems associated with the dog.